This recipe comes from PaleoLeap.
Makes 8 portions:
- $14.18 - 859g London Broil
- $1.12 - 170g Blueberries
- $0.05 - 2 tsps Minced Garlic (Spice World)
- $0.33 - 50g Shallots
- $0.93 - 240g Organic Beef Stock (Emeril's)
- $0.00 - 78g Red Wine
- $0.26 - 1tsp Thyme
- $0.19 - 2tbsp Salted Butter
- $0.18 - 1tsp Sea Salt
- $0.15 - 1tsp Black Pepper
- $0.02 - 1tsp Publix Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Total Cost: $17.41
Cost Per Portion: $2.18
Follow the directions over at PaleoLeap.
This meal was prepared by my lovely wife Maureen, who also does all the photographs around here.
We used London Broil because we wanted the leanest cut of beef we could get, and I figured the butter in the sauce would provide more than enough fat in the meal. I was very impressed by how tender and rich it came out. She grilled the steak (propane) which I always prefer when it’s an available option.
The blueberries added an interesting flavor that was subtle and didn’t overwhelm the taste of the meat. If anything, I think it could have used more blueberries.
It paired surprisingly well with the Sprouts a la Josh.
Thoughts for next time:
- Double the amount of blueberries, mash up half to turn the sauce into more of a blueberry paste