This recipe comes from Paleoholic.
Makes 12 portions:
- $0.00 - 1.75 lb Poblano Pepper
- $0.49 - 0.28 lb Carrots
- $1.23 - 0.6 lb Cauliflower
- $0.18 - 0.13 lb Celery
- $0.30 - 4 tbsp Minced Garlic (Spice World)
- $14.97 - 1.87 lb Chorizo Sausage
- $0.50 - 5 oz Tomato Paste
- $0.00 - 1 tbsp Worchestire Sauce
- $0.69 - 1 tbsp Oregano
- $0.00 - 1 tbsp Tarragon
- $0.18 - 1 tsp Sea Salt
- $0.15 - 1 tsp Black Pepper
- $0.92 - 14.5 oz Publix Diced Tomatoes
Total Cost: $19.61
Cost Per Portion: $1.63
Follow the directions over at Paleoholic.
As I took the first bite, I wasn’t sure what to make of this. After 8 hours in the crock pot, these stuffed peppers were extremely mushy, to the point of falling apart. However, after mixing it together with some crispy Green Beans a la Josh, I quickly overcame my objections to the texture and fell in love with the flavor.
Be warned: the chorizo has some kick by itself, so I left out the jalapeños this time (my wife doesn’t like spicy food as much as I do).
As you can see, this is a very fatty meal, packing in 28g of fat for only 20g of protein. I think this might pair nicely with some chicken breast if you want to get some more lean protein in there. Also, for the non-paleo among you, these suckers are just begging for some rice and beans.
Thoughts for next time:
- They were a bit too mushy; try baking them next time instead