This is my second attempt at mashed cauliflower, and I think I’m getting closer to something near perfection. Food for thought: this recipe is totally vegan, with no animal products whatsoever.
Makes 4 portions:
- $8.52 - 4.18 lbs Cauliflower
- $0.53 - .39 lb Green Bell Pepper
- $0.30 - 4 tbsp Minced Garlic (Spice World)
- $1.98 - 235g Organic Coconut Milk (Native Forest)
- $0.49 - 1 tsp Nutmeg
- $0.15 - 1 tsp Black Pepper
- $0.18 - 1 tsp Sea Salt
- $0.54 - 2 tbsp Raw Coconut Flour (Coconut Secret)
Total Cost: $12.69
Cost Per Portion: $3.17
- Steam the cauliflower for 30 minutes; until nice and soggy
- Use a food processor to grind up the soggy cauliflower into a fine paste
- Add all ingredients to a large bowl, use mixer to mix until it has the consistency of mashed potatoes
- Dice up a green bell pepper and toss it in- why not?
These have a very strong garlic flavor, but that is by design (I like garlic). The green bell pepper makes it a bit more interesting, and the dash of coconut flour thickens them up nicely to give them the consistency of mashed potatoes. They were rather expensive to make this week because the cauliflower cost me almost $10; when on sale it would likely be half that price. In my non-vegan opinion, the coconut milk is actually better than butter here, making them sweet, fluffy and creamy.
Macros beware: relatively high fat content due to the coconut milk.